The Art of Change is an Arts Council funded project aimed at empowering 10 marginalised youth voice groups across in East Sussex using creative arts-based learning approaches, to design their own visually creative ‘Manifesto for Change’ to raise awareness about key issues affecting young people.
The project takes a collaborative ‘asset-based approach’ as a way to utilise young people’s perspectives, knowledge and experiences to identify positive solutions to the barriers they face - recognising that most effective change agents are young people themselves
Aims and objectives
- Provide 10 youth voice groups with bespoke creative consultation workshops to address each group’s unique issues
- Explore a variety of arts-based learning approaches such as urban art, printing and stenciling, and how these have been used historically as a vehicle to bring about social change
- Identify and develop a draft ‘Manifesto for Change’ that can be used to influence local conversations and decisions-makers
- Attend a cultural (arts) setting and work with a local artist to co-create a visual representation of their ‘Manifesto for Change’
- Work with support staff and service managers to improve collective understanding of the issues faced by the young people in each group
- Explore opportunities to embed creative consultation mechanisms within youth-voice groups
- Showcase artwork to key decision makers
A sample of our resources to explore these theses can be found by following this link.